Natural gas use has increased by 35% over the last decade in the U.S. and is projected to grow by 45% by 2015. More than 60 million customers enjoy the benefits of natural gas. In the Enbridge St. Lawrence Gas territory, where gas service is available, about 85% of the homes and businesses select natural gas. About 95% of our customers use natural gas for heating. Why is the use of natural gas so popular? Here are seven very good reasons:
1. Natural gas is cost-effective:
- Natural gas can save you money. Over the last ten years, natural gas has been less expensive than any other fuel sources like oil, electricity, and propane.
- See our Savings Calculator to determine how much you can save.
2. Natural gas is clean:
- It is considered te cleanest fossil fuel because it produces emissions much lower than those of other fossil fuels like coal or oil.
3. Natural gas is convenient:
- You never call for deliveries.
- You pay for gas as you use it. There’s no upfront delivery costs.
4. Natural gas is safe:
- The two million mile delivery system of underground pipes has an outstanding safety record.
- The physical properties of gas, including its weight, ignition temperature, flammability range, and distinctive smell, add to its safety.
5. Natural gas is reliable:
- Supplies of natural gas are abundant. More than 95% of the natural gas used in the U.S. comes from North America. Compare that fact to the use of oil, where almost 50% of the oil that is used in the U.S. is imported from countries outside North America.
- Natural gas is piped directly to your house. It’s there when you need it, even during power outages.
6. Natural gas is versatile:
- Natural gas can do more than heat your home. It can be used for water heating, clothes drying, cooking, and authentic looking fireplaces and stoves. In your backyard, natural gas lights, grills, and pool heaters are favorite applications.
7. Natural gas appliances are easy to maintain:
- Because natural gas burns clean, your appliances will require less maintenance and repairs over the years.
Here’s what our customers say about the benefits of natural gas:
“I replaced my electric water heater with natural gas and saved $250 a year in electricity costs!” (Beaver Falls)
“I still remember the ice storm. Thank God we had natural gas. Our insert kept us warm and we cooked on our stove!” (Norwood)
“I’m glad we got rid of our propane tank. Plus, we don’t have to worry about running out of fuel!” (Croghan)
“Even with our cheap electricity, I was surprised to find out that natural gas was less!” (Massena)
“Since we switched from oil, I’ve seen substantial savings in my overall fuel costs!” (Ogdensburg)